From the summary:
How can local governments compete for talent as more of their workforce retires and they need to appeal to a new generation that has many choices about where to work?
“Workforce of Tomorrow,” a report released today by the Local Government Research Collaborative (LGRC) and the Center for State and Local Government Excellence (SLGE), recommends six action strategies to build the workforce of tomorrow:
• Reinvent human resources to become more flexible, nimble, and strategic. Seek staff who champion people management issues and can set the workforce agenda.
• Revamp antiquated policies and practices to meet the needs and expectations of a changing workforce.
• Build a brand that tells the great story of public service
• Focus on talent management, leadership development, and succession planning to prepare for workforce transitions, build capacity, and grow future leaders.
• Create a culture that values and engages employees in meaningful ways.
• Leverage technology, data, and automation to improve operations and provide employees with the tools they need.