From the highlights:
– In 2009, 157.6 million workers had earnings taxable under the Social Security program. About 140.7 million had only wages, 10.0 million had only self-employment income, and 6.9 million had both.
– Social Security taxable earnings totaled $5.268 trillion, which includes earnings up to the taxable maximum of $106,800.
– Social Security taxes totaled about $653 billion.
– In 2009, 161.4 million workers had earnings taxable under the Medicare program. About 143.8 million had only wages, 9.9 million had only self-employment income, and 7.7 million had both.
– Medicare taxable earnings totaled $6.407 trillion.
– Medicare taxes totaled about $186 billion.