Source: Department of Labor, April 2010
The Department of Labor enforcement agencies foster and promote the welfare of wage earners
and retirees of the United States, by ensuring their safety, improving their working conditions,
and protecting their retirement and health care benefits. In carrying out this mission, the Agencies administer and enforce a variety of Federal labor laws that guarantee workers’ rights to safe and healthful working conditions, a minimum hourly wage and overtime pay, and freedom from employment discrimination, as well as the integrity of their pensions and health plans
This site aims to make the enforcement data, collected by these agencies in the exercise of their mission, accessible and searchable, using common search criteria, by the public. It intends, also, to engage the public in new and creative ways of using this data. It is a work in progress, and new features, functionality, and search criteria will be added over time. It is foremost our invitation to you, the American public, to engage with us, and react to this first iteration of our work by telling us what you think and what you would like to see here.
– Employee Benefits Security Administration (EBSA)
– Mine Safety & Health Administration (MSHA)
– Office of Federal Contract Compliance Programs (OFCCP)
– Occupational Safety & Health Administration (OSHA)
– Wage & Hour Division (WHD)
1. BUILD A DATA CATALOG
* Make the enforcement agencies datasets available for download in machine readable format.
* Provide metadata for all datasets.
* Publish the datasets on Data.Gov.
2. LAUNCH MASHUP COMPETITION OPPORTUNITIES
* Invite the Public to find innovative ways of using DOL’s enforcement data to promote worker’s
safety and protect worker’s rights.
3. ADD NEW SEARCH CRITERIA
* Search by Company Name
* Additional Search granularity: Penalty Amount, Violation Type, Legislative Acts, etc.
* Integrate the Enforcement Data Warehouse with other Federal and State enforcement agencies data systems (i.e. EPA’s enforcement data system).
* Provide data driven maps to allow visual access to the data.
* Provide an interactive dashboard.