Hanover residents clash on trash issue

Source: Lillian Reed, The Evening Sun, September 30, 2016

A week after Hanover Borough Council members announced they were mulling whether to outsource the borough’s trash collection, residents spoke out at the public meeting Wednesday both in favor and against the plan. Council President Dan Noble announced the plan Sept. 21 to possibly end the borough’s role in trash collection. The public works committee spent several months researching before it made the recommendation to outsource the collections. … Before the vote, resident Alan Redding told council members there was a lot to consider when weighing the practicality of outsourcing trash service. … Redding also worried about employees losing their jobs if garbage collection gets scrapped, he said. Previously, Noble estimated that about 10 public works employees could lose their jobs should the borough choose to outsource. … Redding asked council to make the “common sense decision,” which garnered applause from some people in the room. One other member of the public spoke out against the outsourcing plan. Two residents spoke in favor of outsourcing, citing a recent increase in their trash collection bills that they deemed unnecessary. …