Source: U.S. Department of Commerce, U.S. Census Bureau, Press Release, Release Number: CB14-216, November 25, 2014
Receipts for the nation’s 582,733 ambulatory health care services establishments (NAICS 621) totaled $825.7 billion in 2012, up 23.5 percent from $668.5 billion in 2007, according to the latest economic census statistics released today by the U.S. Census Bureau.
Employment in this industry increased 15.1 percent, from 5.7 million in 2007 to 6.6 million in 2012, while annual payroll rose 24.3 percent from $274.7 billion in 2007 to $341.4 billion in 2012.
The ambulatory health care industry includes outpatient services, such as offices of physicians and dentists, home health care and medical laboratories, but not inpatient care, such as hospitals and nursing facilities, or social assistance.
Offices of physicians (NAICS 62111) accounted for nearly half (49.1 percent) of ambulatory health care services receipts: $405.7 billion in 2012, up 20.6 percent from $336.3 billion in 2007.
Other highlights for the offices of physicians industry include:
– Offices of physicians except mental health specialists (NAICS 621111) had an increase of 20.6 percent in receipts from $332.0 billion in 2007 to $400.5 billion in 2012. The number of establishments rose 0.6 percent, from 209,148 in 2007 to 210,334 in 2012.
– Employment for offices of physicians, mental health specialists (NAICS 621112) increased 12.2 percent, from 40,483 in 2007 to 45,433 in 2012. Annual payroll climbed 21.2 percent, from $1.9 billion in 2007 to $2.3 billion in 2012. This industry consists of establishments of health practitioners primarily engaged in the independent practice of psychiatry or psychoanalysis.
Statistics are included on sources of revenue for offices of physicians and other industries. Examples of such sources for offices of physicians include treatment of diseases of the musculoskeletal system and connective tissue, complications of pregnancy and childbirth, and injury and poisoning. These data are available on census.gov.
Although still relatively small, the home health care services industry (NAICS 621610) has grown rapidly in recent years. This industry comprised 5.2 percent of establishments, 8.1 percent of receipts, and 19.6 percent of employees within the ambulatory health care industry in 2012 and experienced increases from 2007:
– Number of establishments — up 30.6 percent (from 23,070 in 2007 to 30,122 in 2012).
– Receipts — up 39.7 percent (from 47.6 billion in 2007 to 66.5 billion in 2012).
– Employment — up 30.7 percent (from 984,164 in 2007 to 1,286,471 in 2012).