From the summary:
In this report, we once again explore who LGBT homeless youth are, how they become homeless, how their needs are being addressed, and what the federal government can do to eliminate homelessness among LGBT youth. In particular, we stress the following policy priorities that can assist in preventing homelessness among LGBT youth and change their lives for the better:
– Reauthorize the Runaway and Homeless Youth Act with LGBT-specific provisions.
– Establish standards that protect LGBT youth from bullying and harassment in schools.
– Support initiatives that strengthen families with LGBT children, and that promote acceptance and understanding between parents and children.
– Disassemble the school-to-prison pipeline.
– Initiate efforts to research LGBT youth homelessness and track demographic data on homeless youth that includes sexual orientation and gender identity.
These five policy recommendations would bolster the efforts of service providers around the country, creating a comprehensive framework to address the challenges in building effective homeless-service programs. No policy, program, or study will eliminate LGBT youth homelessness today, in a month, or even in a year. But developing a cohesive federal approach to this pressing issue is a necessary step toward giving all youth safe homes and brighter futures….