Source: National Institute for Prevention of Workplace Violence, 2012
– Workplace homicides from assaults and other violent acts are the second leading cause of death for women while working.
– So far in the 21st century, an average of 552 work-related homicides occurred annually in the U. S.
– the fastest growing category of homicides in the workplace are committed by customers.
– Suicides in the workplace reached an all-time high of 270 incidents in 2010 and went down to 242 in 2011.
– As of 2011, the total Deaths from Violence and Assaults by Persons (combines work-related homicides and workplace suicides) equals 7,156 with an average annual death toll of 795.