This report provides data for employers, employees, their lawyers, and policymakers about current trends in family responsibilities discrimination litigation.
• Lawsuits fled by employees with family caregiving obligations have increased almost 400% in the past decade, a time during which the overall number of employment discrimination cases filed decreased.
• Employees prevail in almost half of the cases, far more frequently than in other types of employment cases.
• Verdicts and settlements in family responsibilities discrimination cases average over $500,000.
• Cases have arisen in every state, in every industry, and at every level in organizations.
• Employers of all sizes have been sued, from small start-up companies to large multi-national corporations.