Where–and How Much–Do Employers Spend on Compensation?

Source: Employee Benefit Research Institute, Fast Facts #112, January 27, 2009

Employers spent nearly $8 trillion on total compensation for workers in 2007. Where was that money allocated?

As the chart below shows, wages and salaries accounted for the largest share, $6.4 trillion (or 81.4 percent), while benefits made up the remainder, $1.5 trillion (or 18.6 percent). Also, total employer spending on health benefits is beginning to approach the amount spent on retirement benefits. The chart also contains similar data for selected years going back to 1960.

Leave a Reply