Source: American Hospital Association
From press release:
As more Americans worry about a slowing economy, a new study highlights the important role hospitals play in supporting a strong and stable economy. Hospitals employ more than five million people and rank second as a source of private sector jobs, according to a report released today at the American Hospital Association’s (AHA) annual meeting in Washington. But hospitals and hospital employees also purchase goods and services from other businesses supporting additional jobs and economic activity in their community and across the country.
Today’s TrendWatch report, which was prepared by Avalere Health, LLC, found that hospitals:
• Employ over five million people;
• Directly or indirectly support one of every ten jobs in the U.S.;
• Remain a stable source of employment, even during times of economic stress; and
• Support nearly $1.9 trillion of economic activity.
• Also included is a detailed state-by-state analysis of the economic contributions hospitals make to the communities they serve.
Full Report (PDF; 452 KB)